2012 – the Year of ?
by Jan Cox
As we put away our creche scene for another year, I thought how wonderful that Jesus isn’t “put away” after Christmas; how our Lord lives with us every day. The Christmas Season may be over but “God is with us – we are not alone.”
This is the time to reflect on who we are in Christ. That means our prayers and quiet times before God can be eye opening.
I used to search and ask God for a plan – a goal. Although this might be good, we must remember that our goals may be changed by Him. I wrote this past Tuesday at Inscribe Online about Losing Hope for our Own Solutions.
This year I am praying to TRUST in HIM. I’m praying my body and mind can work together in complete relaxation and peace – knowing that He is at work, even when it feels like everything is crumbling. I want GOD solutions.
And I plan – yes I plan to work toward openness and trust that will move me closer to God. But I can’t do it on my own. NO – I CANNOT DO IT. I will rely on God to move me forward as I pray, no longer for “THE PLAN” but for the “knowledge of His will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding”.
Once again I see my problem is an issue of CONTROL. I make a plan. I want it to move forward. I do everything to make it work. WHAM@!! Something hits and I fall apart.
Do you see the “I’s” in that plan?
This year – I will still plan – but knowing that the plan made be side-lined according to His will. I will be praying to be ready to bend, to turn around, to stop … as He orchestrates my life’s symphony.
For me this year 2012 – is the YEAR OF TRUST.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
And lean not on your own understanding
In all your ways acknowledge Him
And He will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV)
Father, I acknowledge I like my own way. I know that is not necessarily Your way. I will try to learn this year to have less of me and more of You. But I know I need Your help to do that. Fill me with the knowledge of Your will. In Jesus’ name. AMEN.
What will this year be for you? Ask God to reveal a word, a Scripture or idea for your personal growth.
Counting My Gifts from Him – Counting to 1000 – I am at 889
- Starting my day praying, journalling and studying God’s Word and listening to Him
- Good visit with family – hugs from grandchildren
- Walking in drizzle in Toronto where it was warmer than in Mesa
- Snowball is a good traveller on airplane, train and car
- Decorated Christmas trees
- The first snowfall – a white winter wonderland
- Being able to help family
- A loving understanding husband
- Grandkids’ laughter
- Bing Crosby singing Christmas songs
- God’s Holy Spirit keeping me calm
- The Alphabet prayer when I can’t sleep
- Playing games with grandchildren
- Remembering to have a Mary heart in a Martha world
- My grandson’s 6th birthday – donations to Free the Children instead of gifts. Feel free to help.
- A God-incident where I can speak His Word to someone
- Peace, and joy found through Jesus
- Knowing God has a plan and learning to trust in Him
- Wayne gaining confidence to drive after his accident
- A concerned sister – who is always there and trusts in God
- Equal opportunity health care in Canada
- Encouraging notes from friends
- De-icing machines for airplanes
- Warmth of Arizona on our return
- Making Russian Borscht in a crockpot
- Putting away the creche but knowing He is always with us – we are not alone.
Jan, a former school teacher and small business owner, found a new passion in writing in her retirement. She has published two devotionals and a number of articles for magazines and a Bible study. She is owner of Under the Cover of Prayer and moderates the site. She also writes at A Better Way. Jan is working on a couple children’s books in which she is also the watercolour illustrator.