Our God of Many Miracles
by Patricia Day
“Cast your burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain you. (Psalm 55:22, NIV)
To say that we prayed vehemently would be an understatement. The Bible tells us “It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man”. (Psalm 118:8)
My husband’s unexpected surgery ‘fell’ into our lives and work income stopped! Yikes!
He’d undergone an angiogram, only to be told it revealed that he needed immediate heart surgery! He underwent triple-bypass surgery the next morning.
To say we were devastated at the time does not even come close to expressing our feelings and fear….. however GOD is good and as we prayed and trusted that all would be well, He provided for us in so many unexpected ways. Let me share some with you:
- I received rides each day, to and from the hospital – all offered never asked for.
- We received money from family, friends and church family to cover all our immediate expenses and mortgage.
- We received gift cards from friends for grocery shopping.
- A garage door repair bill was covered by church friends (just because they wanted to help some way).
- A cheque from friends, prompted in a dream! They obeyed. They said one was told the amount to give! Because they strongly felt the dream was from God they obeyed. What totally amazed us was that the cheque amount was exactly what we needed to bring overdue bills up to date! We had not been in touch with these friends prior to this, so they had no way of knowing our need from anything we might have said.
- Christmas hamper from church family and groceries delivered to our door by friends.
- Cooked meals and homemade soups brought to our door by friends.
This is not an exhaustive list – we were blessed with many other surprises – even though our faith took a ‘direct hit’ when we first received the news, after the test results were revealed.
We should have known better, but trusting that God is in complete control can elude us in troubling times, and even mature Christians can panic; we’re only human. We question our ability to come through this latest challenge. We could have completely ‘lost it’, but hung in there despite doubts. We should have known better – God provided for us in great abundance then, and He still does.
When tragedies or sickness overwhelm us, it is easy to sink into a ‘pity-party’ and forget to call out to You and trust in Your grace and provision. Let us remember to reach out to You first and trust that you will provide all that we need, with Your usual perfect timing. In Jesus Name, Amen!
- How Is Your Spiritual Cover? (underthecoverofprayer.wordpress.com)
- Mustard Seed Faith… (khrystleraineduste.wordpress.com)
- Trust – Janis Cox
Writing has always been a passion of Patricia. She can express myself better in writing, than verbally. She enjoys creating short stories and devotionals. Her favourite past-times: family-time; gardening; reading; walking and listening to good music. Married. Mother of two sons; step-Mom to a son & daughter and Nana to ten.
Patricia has recently completed her first novel – Eleanor, A Stolen Childhood – which is in the process of publication. Her second novel, Priscilla – Hidden in the Shadows is now being written.