Do I Listen to God?
by Jan Cox
I have been thinking about ME and GOD.
I always start my day with Him. But many times it is just a few prayers, read the Bible, maybe read a non-fiction book, and write in my journal. STOP.
Do you see what I mean? Where did God go in this programme?
I forgot about listening to Him.
I NEED to listen to Him.
I have worked on different ways to hear from God. I will give you three of them.
- Ask a direct question to God. Be specific. Then ask God for a sign, which could come from many sources – The Bible, a friend, something you read, hear or see, or a direct answer from God.
- A more active way of listening is through His Word. Choose any passage and using the 5 Ps Method by Priscilla Shirer work through that passage. Then see how He speaks to you directly. Then make a plan to act how on what He has told you.
- Completely STOP what you are doing, and thinking. Sit still. Sit alone. Sit without interruptions. Focus on God. Choose an attribute of God, i.e. Power, Grace, Caring, Love. Then just SIT and don’t DO anything. If your mind wanders, gently bring it back by saying the attribute you are concentrating on.
These are only three ways. Can you tell me other ways that you have listened to God?
I know I can’t stop practicing. I need to keep working at this process. And Oswald Chambers certainly made me realize that. He says:
“It is easy to imagine that we will get to a place where we are complete and ready, but preparation is not suddenly accomplished, it is a process steadily maintained. It is dangerous to get into a settled state of experience. It is preparation and preparation” (Chambers Sept 24).
I continue to count my blessings to 2000.
- a good game of cribbage – I finally skunked my hubby (he has done that a dozen times)
- wearing a snuggly with baby grandson
- praying with a praying friend
- middle daughter feeling better
- fall has finally arrived – cool nights, cool mornings
- fireplace – warmth and light
- watching Bryce play the piano – he loves the music he makes
- wearing a Baby Bjorn with my grandson inside and walking in town
- playing with baby
- Bryce loves the new tastes of food – carrots, zucchini, banana
- trying to put baby shoes on him – scrunches up his toes
- just walking my grandson – learning, thinking, and bouncing to music
- the deer family – here all at once
- playing Cribbage and 3 handed Euchre with my daughter and hubby
- learning to rest
- out comes the boat – end of summer
- love watching Snowball just chillin’ out on the couch
- a welcome massage
- lunch with a good friend
- peace, patience and progress
Jan, a former school teacher and small business owner, found a new passion in writing in her retirement. She has published two devotionals and a number of articles for magazines and a Bible study. She is owner of Under the Cover of Prayer and moderates the site. Jan has completed a children’s book called Tadeo Turtle. She is the watercolour illustrator. Word Alive will be publishing this story and it will be available October 2012. See more about Tadeo at Jan’s Website.