What Do I do When I Feel Overwhelmed?
by Jan Cox
I read this morning from Isaiah 40:28-31.
“Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
Using a new method of study called the Five Ps, I contemplated this Scripture. I pulled out HOPE, RENEW, SOAR, RUN, WALK.
Then I wrote this poem:
In the Power of His Love
I see the forest
It doesn’t seem possible
To finish it all.
God is here.
I don’t have to do this alone.
He will take me
Under His wings
He will renew my strength
If I put my HOPE in Him.
My joy overflows.
I know my Redeemer lives.
It is not about me.
Jesus resides in me.
I will soar with You
In the power of Your love.
Soaring in His strength.
Father, thank you for being here – inside me through Jesus. Thank You for giving me strength when I feel weak. In Your Name, Jesus. AMEN.
While studying this Scripture this praise song kept running through my head.
Here is Hillsong singing The Power of Your Love.
Counting the Blessings of God. Counting to 2000. I am at 1742.
- cool fresh mornings – fall
- watching God speak through His Word to others
- drive in the countryside
- birthday party for a grandnephew
- relaxing with my daughter
- playing in the ball pit – I know – kid at heart
- fantastic sleeps
- Facetime with hubby
- grandbaby turned from front to back – and thought it was so good
- Holy Spirit keeping me awake on the drive home
- piano practising
- talk to UCW (United Church Women) about my Poland Mission trip
- A day of rain – so appreciate the sun
- strength from God – even when overwhelmed
- The 4 Nows (underthecoverofprayer.wordpress.com)
- How Can I Hear From God? (underthecoverofprayer.wordpress.com)
- How We Can Learn to Fly (www.alifesurrendered.com)
Jan, a former school teacher and small business owner, found a new passion in writing in her retirement. She has published two devotionals and a number of articles for magazines and a Bible study. She is owner of Under the Cover of Prayer and moderates the site. Jan has completed a children’s book called Tadeo Turtle. She is the watercolour illustrator. Word Alive will be publishing this story and it will be available in October 2012. See more about Tadeo at Jan’s Website.
Thanks so much Carley. Encouragement – especially for poetry is most welcome.
Thank you for the beautiful poem. I love this Hillsong tune as well. The power of God’s love is unfathomable.
In His strength and power – under His tent – we can soar like the eagle with Jesus. Can you feel the air around you, suspending you – as you hang peacefully looking around? I can.
What a lovely thought, soaring with Jesus:)