Have We Gone the Way of the Israelites?
by Jan Cox
Every morning I have practised on my new piano. I chose a piece from our hymnary. “O God Our Help in Ages Past”. I found this very hard to play – by the way.
As I play – I sing and think.
God has watched over all our families from the beginning of time. Our parents, our grandparents, our great-grandparents.. and so on. He has also watched us change our allegiance from Him to other gods and idols.
Are we just like the Israelites in the desert who wanted other things to excite them?They didn’t like waiting for Moses who had gone up into the mountain to talk to God. They built a golden calf. They wanted something tangible to worship right then.
Awareness. That’s what we need. We must open our eyes and see ourselves and how we are living.
I went to a recycling centre (a drop off for everything). I could not believe the stuff – for a small town. Most of it would have ended up in the dump if the owner had not built this facility. And our Thrift Store, called the LilyAnn, is always FULL. Their motto is, “New items every day”.
This is a good news, bad news story. At least we are reusing our “stuff”.
But WHY do we have so much to throw away?
Our ancestors kept things much longer than we do? They were CONTENT. Are we? I don’t know the answers. I am guilty as well.
Tell me your thoughts.
I am asking God to show me how I can live with more FOCUS on Him and less on stuff.
Father, we are in a society of the “throw-away”. Help me to find a good balance and help me to keep my foucs on You and Your people and not on STUFF. In Jesus’s name, I pray. AMEN.
My Gratitude List: Counting to 2000 – I am at 1729.
- quiet gentle rain for our county
- corn – so delicious at this time of year on barbecue or boiled
- a great night’s sleep
- hearing great happiness from all grandkids on first day of school
- my husband and I washing our truck
- praying with a partner
- skills to help others
- getting back to Bible study group
- deer family in the the backyard (Snowball was frantic!)
- watching God at work
- 2 deer running past my window early in the morning
- excited crows – then we saw the fox
- amazing God-led meeting
- friend who helped me clothes shop (I hate shopping!)
- new outfits
- having fun!
- working on more stuffed turtles
- ability to think
- God connections
- great weather for community picnic
- leaves are changing
- Bocce Ball game
- Snowball freed from her leash for almost 4 hours outside (needed a good brush later)
- revisions almost down for Tadeo Turtle
- new member of family – Stella – a black standard poodle (daughter’s)
- ideas! ideas! so many in my head
- worked on our garden – planted perennials (1/2 price)
- got my business cards done
- had 1st piano lesson in over 40 years – fun
- practising piano – slow, steady, again and again
- gifts to help others
- great group of members in our Board for our community
- Images of Gold (shilohrestoration.org)
- Destiny’s Hands by Violet Nesdoly – I finished reading it last night – great book.
Jan, a former school teacher and small business owner, found a new passion in writing in her retirement. She has published two devotionals and a number of articles for magazines and a Bible study. She is owner of Under the Cover of Prayer and moderates the site. She also writes at A Better Way. Jan has completed a children’s book calledTadeo Turtle. She is the watercolour illustrator. Word Alive will be publishing this story and it will be available later this summer. See more about Tadeo at Jan’s Website.