The 4 Nows
by Jan Cox
“God You are my God … and I will ever praise You… I will seek You in the morning and I will learn to walk in Your ways… step by step you’ll lead me and I’ll follow You all of my days.” Step by Step by Michael W. Smith
I sing that. And then I forget what it means.
This is NOT what I have been doing. Other things get crammed into my early mornings – my IPOD, ideas, my new book, surfing the Net. All these things seep into my time – this early morning time – with You.
It has happened before and I know it will happen again. But I am sorry. I have forgotten that You must be first.
So, I have come up with:
NOW (this morning time) is a time for PRAYER.
I have not been vigilant. I do pray whenever the Spirit leads me but I have been lax lifting those people, whom I have promised to pray for, to You on a regular basis. So this morning time will be for that.
NOW (this morning time) is a time for PRAISE.
Whether it is through music or words – I want to sing Your praises. I have not done this enough. The Psalms would be a good place to start. Music too. My drive to Peterborough and back reminded me how much I love to sing praise to You.
NOW (this morning time) is a time for STUDY.
That means studying Your Word. I have been doing my Bible Study on returning from Poland – but not regularly. I have been back almost a month and I am not finished yet. I want to delve into the Word and hear what You want to tell me.
NOW (this morning time) is a time for YOU.
Yes, I want to remember to still my mind before You. I want to take this time to stop thinking and talking and start listening. I need this – it focuses me; it refreshes me; it gives me peace.
So here it a new start (once again). May my mornings be for You. May this time not be wasted with other “things”.
How about you? Do you live with God in the NOW? Can you take time, whether it is morning, afternoons, evening or the middle of the night – to meet with our God? It doesn’t matter how long but it does matter if you do it.
What do you think?
Here is Michael Smith singing Step by Step.
Counting My Blessings – to 2000 – I am at 1666
- God’s peace
- Great prayers
- Good thoughts
- Working on Tadeo Revision
- Being asked to speak about my trip to Poland to the UCW
- Playing in pool with grandchildren and watching to see what great swimmers they are
- Bath time with grandchildren
- Storytime with grandchildren
- Thanks for keeping me awake, Lord, on the way home
- Singing Your praises while I drive
- Conversation with You while I drive
- A stressful situation finished
- Great swim in the lake from our boat
- Knowing it was NOT the right digital piano
- The love of my hubby
- Excitement felt in my daughter as she gets ready for her Kindergarten class
- Life growing inside my daughter
- Questions are good
- Debates are good
- Scripture is powerful
- “Wages of sin is death: the Gift of God is eternal life in Jesus” (Romans 6:23)
- The morning sunshine
Jan, a former school teacher and small business owner, found a new passion in writing in her retirement. She has published two devotionals and a number of articles for magazines and a Bible study. She is owner of Under the Cover of Prayer and moderates the site. She also writes at A Better Way. Jan has completed a children’s book called Tadeo Turtle. She is the watercolour illustrator. Word Alive will be publishing this story and it will be available later this summer. See more about Tadeo at Jan’s Website.
- HOW DOES GOD SPEAK? – Part 3 (underthecoverofprayer.wordpress.com)
- How Does God Speak? Part 2 (underthecoverofprayer.wordpress.com)
- How Busy Are You? (underthecoverofprayer.wordpress.com)
- How Else Can Satan Distract Us? (underthecoverofprayer.wordpress.com)