How Does God Speak? Part 2
God Speaks Through Prayer
by Jan Cox
“I know you by name …” (Exodus 33:12 NIV)
Last week I talked about how I hear God speak through the Scriptures and words of others.
This week I want to talk about how I hear God through prayer.
While attending a writers’ conference, one of my prayers had been that our attendees would be woken early each morning so they could attend the worship time at 8am. I had noticed other years that worship time, while wonderful, was not attended as fully as could be possible.
As I headed toward the prayer room around 6:55 am I prayed a special prayer for my friend, Kimberley, that she would be awakened to attend the worship service. For nine years she had slept in.
I took two steps more towards the door of the sanctuary and the door opened wide.
Out popped my friend, Kimberley, with a wide grin on her face as she said, “Hey, Jan!”.
I am sure she will recall the expression on my face for years to come. Startled, excited and totally mesmerized with her appearance, I stumbled the rest of the way to the building.
I choked out my words to her, “You won’t believe this. I just finished a small prayer of hope that you would attend worship this morning. And God brings you to prayer time too!”
God had already known the desire of my heart and heard my prayer before I had spoken it.
I know He works behind the scenes and I know He figures out lots of things before I have a chance to do anything. But this was wildly wonderful.
Kim wrote about the experience from her point of view at her blog, Return Home and Tell.
And to top off the morning, besides a spirit-filled prayer time and worship time, God filled the sanctuary with worshippers.
Terry Pitts and I were behind the sound and video booth. But we worshipped with our hearts as well.
“He knows my name;
He knows my every thought;
He sees each tear that falls
and He hears me when I call.”
Father, we thank You for the privilege of speaking to You – through our words, our thoughts and our whole beings. Continue to teach us to listen to you as well. Let this be a two-way conversation. In Jesus’ name. AMEN.
I love those words and that song. Here is He Knows My Name sung by Paul Baloche
Have you experienced a time when God knew the desire of your heart? How have you heard God?
I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.
Here is my Gratitude List for this week. I am counting to 2000
- mother deer and 2 fawn outside church windows while at Bible study
- great last lesson on Moving From Fear to Freedom – Ghosts of our pasts
- little chipmunk who is curious and comes to our patio door
- Isaiah 8:13 “Do not fear anything except the LORD almighty. He also is the Holy One. If you fear Him, you need fear nothing else.”
- words at night from God – “Go for it. Take a risk. Go with Word Alive and publish Tadeo Turtle.”
- sitting on the deck reading a book
- son and grandkids here for the weekend
- listening to grandson (6), who is in Kindergarten, reading my book, Tadeo Turtle
- going shopping with granddaughter to get a wading pool
- boating with all of them
- watching my son wakeboard and seeing his smile
- watching grandchildren laugh and play together
- a deer crossing the road in town after church – clip, clop
- a nap after they all went home
- getting Twitter up for Under the Cover of Prayer – @UTCOP
- preparing for VIBE – Vacation Bible school – over 20 registered
- credit card number nabbed – but TD caught it
- interesting workshop on adoption – Jewels for Jesus
- soaking in a hot tub during a sprinkling rain and a rainbow came out
- listening for God – STOPPING long enough
- what is the difference between Belief and Faith? Is it belief is seen and faith is unseen?
- Made a new website – www.janiscox.com
- early morning stillness
- the blue sheen on a crow’s head
- the way crows bob their heads when they walk like the doves in Arizona
- grandbaby’s smile and chuckles (3 months old)
- daughter’s hugs
- son’s help
- husband’s support
- deer on the front lawn
- praying for others
Jan, a former school teacher and small business owner, found a new passion in writing in her retirement. She has published two devotionals and a number of articles for magazines and a Bible study. She is owner of Under the Cover of Prayer and moderates the site. She also writes at A Better Way. Jan has completed a children’s book called Tadeo Turtle. She is the watercolour illustrator.
He came back again today. I have a picture that I will put up this Friday. Yes multitudes of blessings if we ONLY LOOK.
Little chipmunk… love them too! Just visiting from the Multitudes on Mondays community… enjoying the multitude of blessings out there!
Yes – awesome how He hears our every thought – love that idea. That always takes away any worry we might have because we know He is here always.
Morning worship at the conference was amazing, as always. And now that you mention it, better attended than usual. Thanks for praying, and thank You God for waking people to come.
Love that Paul Baloche song.