Haunted by God
by Jan Cox
“God-friendship is for God-worshipers; They are the ones he confides in. If I keep my eyes on God, I won’t trip over my own feet” (Psalm 25:14-15 The Message).
As I thought over this passage it reminded me of the story of Peter walking out to meet Jesus – on the water. Yes, he walked on the water. Why? Because his focus was Jesus, and Him alone. When did he falter? When he looked down at the water.
When I choose to look at circumstances or happenings around me, instead of God – I can be swept downstream. I can lose my footing; stumble; trip; fall.
When I choose to focus on God – thanking Him, counting His blessings, laughing, enjoying little things – there is peace in my soul.
“The whole of our life inside and out is to be absolutely haunted by the presence of God” (Oswald Chambers, June 2).
That’s why I continue to count the gifts that God gives me – each day, I write down one or two or sometimes more, gifts with which God has blessed me.
That is my focus – SEEING Him.
Ann Voskamp took the dare to count to 1000 in her book One Thousand Gifts. I am now counting to 2000. Counting these gifts helps me focus on GOD – leading me closer to being haunted by Him.
“If we are haunted by God, nothing else can get in, no cares, no tribulation, no anxieties. … To be haunted by God is to have an effective barricade against all the onslaughts of the enemy” (Oswald Chambers, June 2).
All these things lead to FOCUSING on God.
I want to be HAUNTED by God.
“Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him!” (Philippians 4:4-5, The Message).
Continuing to count the gifts – counting to 2000; I am at 1451
- buying plants for pots – yellows, purples and whites (deer proof?? we’ll see)
- inspiration for InscribeOnline post
- rain for the farmers – all day (can’t plant yet)
- local home show – meeting everyone from town
- reacquaintance with a wonderful prayer-filled believer
- sunshine this morning
- remembering to focus on God
- sweet granddaughter hugs
- sweet grandson smiles and chats
- watching my daughter do up her daughter’s hair for dance recital
- putting slippers on my granddaughter at recital
- great recital
- wonderful dinner with family
- a friend who ran a beautiful UCW service at church
- rain again – but good for farmers
- Wellington Orphanage Sierra Leone – video
- a stop in the rain and I have time to finally pot the plants
- call from son and they are coming up in a couple of weeks
- making stuffed turtles for conference
- remembering how to sew
- sewing machine worked
- seeing a deer on our walk – very close to roadside but no camera
- Snowball resting after a hard day at play
- my happy mess
Jan, a former school teacher and small business owner, found a new passion in writing in her retirement. She has published two devotionals and a number of articles for magazines and a Bible study. She is owner of Under the Cover of Prayer and moderates the site. She also writes at A Better Way. Jan has completed a children’s book called Tadeo Turtle. She is the watercolour illustrator.