Lean on Him
by Jan Cox
“I can do all this through him who gives me strength” (Philippians 4:13 NIV).
I read this passage and wondered why I don’t do it all in His strength. What is holding me back? I took a closer look at what happens when I do something in my strength and something with God’s. Here is what I found.
What’s the difference between doing something in my own strength or doing it in God’s strength.
On my own I get tired – first I may feel exhilarated and excited – but as I progress my body can wear out.
With God – there is something extra – a push through – a deep fire underneath – an extra boost of power – and a body at peace through it all.
On my own – I have been blessed with a reasonable brain; I can think most things through to a satisfactory conclusion. But I use what I have stored up in my brain to rethink things. And that is not much.
With God – my thoughts expand. I can think beyond what I already know. Clarity and inspiration abound. My mind can soar to new heights.
On my own – I am excitable; I can jump to conclusion; I can think of myself only and lose control easily.
With God – tempering, yes I think He can help me know when I might react falsely to a situation. I know He can bring me down from an overreaction before it gets too out of control. He can keep me at peace through turmoil.
So why don’t I always live in His strength. Because I forget. I let ME and I get in the way. They are always there and they want control. They want to show what I can do.
I continue to learn each day to trust Him more and more. The words of a secular song come to mind:
“Lean on me when you’re not strong; I’ll be your friend; I’ll help you carry on” (Bill Withers, 1972).
Will you join me in leaning on Him this week?
Father, I try to do things in my own strength. But when I do my body fails me. Help me to remember to lean on You, more and more. In Jesus’ name. AMEN.
My Gratitude List – counting to 2000. I am at 1308.
- clear head to get all computer entries done
- excited to see family this weekend
- got TV to work through Apple TV
- sunny sunny day but below 0 Celius
- summer is coming – our community docks are in
- love to use a crock pot – made more chili
- quick afternoon revival naps – 20 minutes
- playing games
- lots of chatter, laughter and noise
- putting together a barbecue – thanks boys
- Wayne and I taking 3 grandchildren to church
- a band in church where I can move, dance and worship
- cold weather but sunny
- cuddles with new grandbaby
- giggles smiles and energy in one small package
- playing in the park early Sunday morning with daughter and 2 grandchildren
- first long walk with Snowball since coming home
- safe trip to and from Barrie even in foggy, rainy, dark night
- hugs with my sister
- sorting through my Mom’s things
- seeing God’s Hand in little things like opening time slot at bank
- doing my life more and more in His strength
- remembering to say THANK YOU to God for each minute of living
- not being caught in a thunderstorm while driving
- meeting and studying with my women friends after 6 months away
- studying Moving From Fear and Freedom Bible study with 11 women friends – awesome!
Jan, a former school teacher and small business owner, found a new passion in writing in her retirement. She has published two devotionals and a number of articles for magazines and a Bible study. She is owner of Under the Cover of Prayer and moderates the site. She also writes at A Better Way. Jan is working on a couple children’s books in which she is also the watercolour illustrator.