by Jan Cox
My husband searched for a compass at a marine store the other day. He wanted to have one on his boat – I am not sure why because I like to stay close enough to shore that I can see it. But he purchased one anyway. I hope he hasn’t got some notion of going into larger areas of water where we can’t see land.
I thought of how we sometimes use our GPS to find a place and how we end up on the other side of the street and still have to stop and ask a person where to find the store.
Praise the Lord that He is a true compass – One Who can guide, point and save us. That’s how I see the letters GPS – God Points and Saves – He shows us the way.
On this Good Friday, as we think of how He saved us – remember why He came – why He went to this trouble and pain – for us.
He calls to us from the deep.
He speaks into our hearts and souls.
He wants to touch us and restore us to godly lives.
That’s why He came – to make a “gateway into life for us”. He overthrew Satan, so we could become sons of God.
“He had triumphed to save the human race. Every human being can get through into the presence of God now because of what the Son of Man went through.” (Oswald Chambers, April 5th)
So today I leave you with this song.
The Wonderful Cross by Matt Redman and Chris Tomlin
I am now looking ahead to Easter.
Today’s prayer comes from my study of Revelation in the Amazing Collection.
Eternal Father of my soul, let my first thought today be of Thee, let my first impulse be to worship Thee, let my first speech be Thy name, let my first action be to kneel before Thee in prayer. O God, who hast been the Refuge of my fathers through many generations, be my Refuge today in every time and circumstance of need. Be my Guide through all that is dark and doubtful. Be my Guard against all that threatens my spirit’s welfare. Be my Strength in time of testing. Gladden my heart with thy peace; through Jesus Christ my Lord. AMEN. (bolding is mine) (John Baillie, twentieth-century Scottish theologian and ecumenical leader)
My Gratitude List – counting to 2000 – I am at 1200
- communication with our family
- blessed by my daughter and son-in-law with a donation to my favourite charity
- planning a party for 8
- planning new Bible study for 10 women – using Grace Fox’s book, From Fear to Freedom – A Woman-to-Woman Conversation
- air-conditioning in Arizona for my allergies
- our local Financial Peace Group saved and reduced debt to a tune of $300 000 in 13 weeks. Hallelujah.
- Keeping my allergies under control
- Leftovers – an easy meal
- Revelation – study from The Amazing Collection – Jesus Christ revealed
- Art classes – great teacher who helps me “see”
- Not letting technology use me
- “Our faith has to be worked out in actualities” (Oswald Chambers)
- reading Oswald Chambers each morning on my new IPOD
- thinking about Easter
- learning more by studying God’s Word
- excited about flying home in 2 weeks and getting hugs from kids, grandkids and friends
Jan, a former school teacher and small business owner, found a new passion in writing in her retirement. She has published two devotionals and a number of articles for magazines and a Bible study. She is owner of Under the Cover of Prayer and moderates the site. She also writes at A Better Way. Jan is working on a couple children’s books in which she is also the watercolour illustrator.