A Circle of Protection
by Jan Cox
One winter I had visited my daughter – about one and one half hours south of our home. The day I left to return it was misty and raining. About a half hour into the drive I stopped for gas. I asked if the northern winding road was in good shape. They answered – yes.
I had a choice at that point to go a longer, straighter route but took the attendant’s word and chose the short, winding road.
About ten minutes north I noticed the road becoming crunchy as the temperature dropped. The rain turned to snain or sleet. I drove slowly.
I had been praying and continued to pray. As I crested a hill I saw a deep valley with the road turning to the left. I started down. Afraid that if I touched my brakes I would lose control I steered only; the road felt crunchy and unreliable.
All of a sudden my right tire hit a ledge of ice and I careened into the oncoming lane. No one, thankfully, was there. But there I drove. I don’t know what happened next but somehow the car made it back into the right lane and I continued down the hill safely.
I know that day that God took the wheel.
Today I read Psalm 34:6-7 in The Message:
“When I was desperate, I called out,
and God got me out of a tight spot.
God’s angel sets up a circle
of protection around us while we pray.”
That is what I think happened. As I prayed, a circle of protection was set up by an angel and protected my vehicle and me. When I went into the other lane – the angel put me back on the right side. Thank You, Lord.
If you have never prayed may I suggest that you read some of these posts.
Prayer is a conversation with God. Try it – talk to Him.
Thank You so much, Father, for loving us, for guiding us and for protecting us. Keep me close to You at all times. In Jesus’ name. AMEN.
My Gratitude List for this week – I am counting to 2000. I am at 1167.
- great to see my sister for lunch
- walk with 2 dogs and a new baby
- baby burps
- baby in tub – loves it
- playing old maid and go fish with granddaughter
- playing foosball and air hockey with granddaughter – giggles galore
- granddaughter saying grace – awesome
- baby grandson lying beside me while Mom and Dad catch up on some sleep
- the most gorgeous spring in Ontario that I can remember – high of 26 degrees in March
- great sleeps for me
- meeting new believers online
- answered prayer when new mommy got “some” sleep last night
- encouraging friends
- The Message
- reading Anna Karina by Tolstoy
- loving, caring husband
- sweet, caring, helpful son-in-law
- throwing a football with son and son-in-law
- game of “curling” with granddaughter
- 2 missing front teeth of grandson
- first pics with cousins and new baby
- sitting outside on St. Patrick’s day in Ontario
- sitting on a porch outside in March in Ontario
- praying for our Arizona church
- coos from new grandson
- sweet sleeping baby boy
- tulips peeking up
- dogs sitting outside under the tree
- strength when we are tired
Jan, a former school teacher and small business owner, found a new passion in writing in her retirement. She has published two devotionals and a number of articles for magazines and a Bible study. She is owner of Under the Cover of Prayer and moderates the site. She also writes at A Better Way. Jan is working on a couple children’s books in which she is also the watercolour illustrator.