by Jan Cox
The top post for Under the Cover of Prayer since its inception is: God Can Hear our Prayers. I can’t tell if that is the top post because of what I wrote or because people click on it as they need to know that God hears our prayers. Hopefully it is a bit of both.
I am totally certain that God can and does hear us when we pray – I am certain too that prayer is necessary – it breaks strongholds, it unleashes power and it creates a bond between God and us.
“I strongly suspect that if we saw all the difference even the tiniest of our prayers to God make, and all the people those little prayers were destined to affect, and all the consequences of those effects down through the centuries, we would be so paralyzed with awe at the power of prayer that we would be unable to get up off our knees for the rest of our lives.” Peter Kreeft
As I read through the Psalms I hear cries of despair, anger, remorse and pain. Then I see a break through – He hears and answers.
Here is one example from Psalm 6: 1-3, 9-10
O LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath. Be merciful to me, LORD, for I am faint; O LORD, heal me, for my bones are in agony. My soul is in anguish. How long, O LORD, how long?
The LORD has heard my cry for mercy; the LORD accepts my prayer. All my enemies will be ashamed and dismayed; they will turn back in sudden disgrace.
If you are not a pray-er, or even if you are, – let’s pray more in 2012.
As I write this I am praying for my Mom. She needed a more specialized care facility and as of this post that prayer has been answered. Continuing to pray for caring hands and guidance for her comfort.
This is also my year of TRUST. So in my prayer I acknowledge that He has a plan – that I can trust Him to look after my Mom. But I continue to pray – a concentrated prayer. He knows my heart. He knows my concern. He hears me and I find peace.
There are many things to pray for during our lives. Lift them all to God. He can hear our prayers.
Father, You created us to be in touch with You. You want to hear from us. Help us to form our words to express our desires and our needs. As we trust – we pray – expecting that Your will be done. In Jesus’ name. AMEN.
Continuing to count my gifts to 1000 – up to 921
- My granddaughter likes my story Tommy the Turtle
- My cough is lessening
- Massage is good for Wayne’s shoulders
- I am gaining confidence in my painting
- Great chatting with my kids by email
- Hard Eucharisteo – diagnosis for my Mom is not good
- Doctors, nurses, PSWs, – all who care for others
- My sister – her love, her stamina and her caring
- “Where fear is present – wisdom cannot be.” Lucius Caelius Lactantius
- TWG prayer warriors
- Man cannot stop us praying – “No place is closed to intercessory prayer.” Richard Halverson
- Wayne has found a good physiotherapist
- Calmness comes as God’s Spirit flows
- Celebrating small successes – seeing them within the big picture
- Resilient sister, caring and concerned
- Great evening with friends
- Finding the right mirror for the front foyer
- Hearing Mom’s voice
- My sister sounding strong and energetic even when overwhelmed with details
- Wayne doing stretches for his shoulder
- An afternoon nap to refresh my body and soul
- Listening to a friend and praying for her
- Breathing well through this cold
Jan, a former school teacher and small business owner, found a new passion in writing in her retirement. She has published two devotionals and a number of articles for magazines and a Bible study. She is owner of Under the Cover of Prayer and moderates the site. She also writes at A Better Way. Jan is working on a couple children’s books in which she is also the watercolour illustrator.